Youth for Human Rights HIV/AIDs Education Campaign
December 29, 2005
The 14th International Conference on AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections in Africa, held earlier this month in Nigeria, addressed the harsh facts that:
- 25.8 million people in the region are living with HIV/AIDS.
- 15 out of every 100 people ages 15 to 49 years of age are HIV-infected.
- Infection rates among young people, especially women in southern African countries, comprise up to 25 per cent of the population.
- According to statistics released by UNICEF, AIDS is expected to have killed 3.1 million people worldwide this year, with 2.3 million of them from sub-Sahara Africa.
- Of these estimated 2.3 million deaths, an estimated 510,000 will be children.
The AIDS pandemic is one of the gravest issues of our time. Youth for Human Rights International works to protect young people from becoming the victims of HIV/AIDS with an educational campaign, aimed at giving them enough understanding of the disease so that they can protect themselves from becoming infected.
Anyone wishing to use this flyer is encouraged to download and reprint it. It can be found at the Youth for Human Rights web site.