The Scientology Religion in the News
While the purpose of this site is to serve as a forum for human rights, there have been many visitors who have wanted to know more about the Scientology religion. We are including this page of links to informative sites and news on the subject.
Popular Scientology Web Sites
- Scientology News
- The Church of Scientology International provides a press office where news of the activities of Scientology churches and Scientologists around the world is published.
- Scientology Effective Solutions
- Scientologists are very active in their communities, using the technology developed by L. Ron Hubbard to improve conditions, whether on a one-on-one basis in our churches and missions, through community outreach or our social betterment programs.
- Scientology Handbook
- This online edition of the Scientology Handbook, based on the works of L. Ron Hubbard, contains practical tools for improving relationships, communication, job performance, and a host of other factors in life.
- Scientology: Theology and Practice of a Contemporary Religion
- The online version of the book by the same title gives an overview of Scientology beliefs. It also includes expertises on the Scientology religion by religious scholars.
- Scientology Volunteer Ministers
- Scientology Volunteer Ministers: a community outreach program, sponsored by Scientology churches around the world. Scientology Volunteer Ministers are active in times of disaster. The web site also includes news about Scientology Volunteer Ministers Goodwill Tours. The motto of the Scientology Volunteer Minister is "Something CAN be done about it."
Scientology Church Grand Openings
A worldwide program was launched several years ago to expand all of the churches of Scientology to better serve their communities — to not only become islands of sanity and succor where all are welcome, but to also serve as central points of emanation for the Church’s many social betterment programs aimed at eradicating the crippling plagues of illiteracy, immorality, drug abuse and intolerance. Mr. David Miscavige, Chairman of the Board of Religious Technology Center, has spoken at the grand openings of some of the most prominent of these new Scientology churches. Excerpts from these speeches describe the scope and importance of this program.
- Grand Opening of the Church of Scientology of San Francisco
- On the 29th of November 2003, in his keynote address at the Grand Opening of the new Church of Scientology of San Francisco, Mr. David Miscavige described the event as a "milestone step in our planetary crusade to urgently bring on our help on a global scale, with the importance of today's occasion extending across the Scientology world."
- Grand Opening of the Church of New York
- More than 10,000 Scientologists, officials, friends and neighbors listened as David Miscavige described how three years earlier, in the wake of September 11th, the Church of Scientology of New York inspired "a global movement bringing hope and salvation to millions, world over."
- Grand Opening of the Church of Scientology of Buffalo
- David Miscavige described the grand opening of the Church of Scientology of Buffalo in these terms: "What we truly celebrate is not this monument, but how in turn this monument serves as a center, a home, to bring the help this world so desperately needs."
- Grand Opening of the Church of Scientology of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Stating that it was his honor to address those attending the event, and "to walk in a land where L. Ron Hubbard laid so many milestones and on this, your milestone day," David Miscavige went on to describe how the opening of this new church was an historic event.
Here is a selection of media on Scientology churches and missions and Scientologists, published in online newspapers and magazines.
- A Profile of a Scientology Volunteer Ministers
- Scientology Volunteer Minister tells how her religion believes human beings are basically good and have the power to improve conditions by spreading kindness to others, one person at a time.
- Building Boom Expands Lodgings For Scientology
- Photo and description of renovations of new hotel catering to parishioners coming to Clearwater for advanced Scientology studies and counseling. [St. Petersburg Times]
- L. Ron Hubbard, GW & Scientology
- An article that outlines L. Ron Hubbard's history at George Washington University and how the current student body is learning of this and the religion he started. [The GW Hatchet]
- New Church of Scientology Opens in Madrid
- At the grand opening of the Church of Scientology of Madrid, actor Tom Cruise made a surprise appearance and addressed the thousands in attendance. [Beliefnet.com]
- Scientologists Donate Funds to Firefighters
- Scientology Volunteer Ministers raise funds to uniform the Clearwater Fire Department Honor Guard. [St. Petersburg Times]
- Scientologists Explain Religious Views
- A minister of the Church of Scientology of Boston answers questions about the Scientology religion at Boston College. [The Heights and College Publisher]
- Scientology — an Unmistakable Presence
- Construction of the Scientology Church headquarters in Clearwater, Florida shows is featured in this article, which includes photographs, and comments on impact of this expansion on the city. [St. Petersburg Times]
- Scientology Breaks Ground With Lasers, Fireworks, Music
- Hollywood-style event in Clearwater celebrates the groundbreaking for the new Scientology mecca. [St. Petersburg Times]
- Scientology: Church Now Claims More Than 8 Million Members
- The Scientology religion has more than 8 million members in 159 countries. [Deseret Morning News]
- Scientology Extends an Invitation To The Fort
- The Scientology Church, located at the old Fort Harrison Hotel, reaches out to the community in Clearwater, and some civic leaders are responding. [St. Petersburg Times]
- Scientology Group Makes A Difference About Drugs At The Glebe Fair
- Drug Free Ambassadors, sponsored by the Scientology Church in Australia, provide information on drugs. Article includes copy of their anti-drug pledge and summary of their activities. [Onlypunjab.com]
- Scientology: Keeping Current With Electro-Faith
- What is a Scientology Sunday Service like? Describes a special inter-faith Sunday Service held by the Church of Scientology of Hawaii. [Honolulu Star-Bulletin]
- Scientology: Leap of Faith
- The growth of the Scientology religion in India and a summary of its basic principles. [Times News Network]
- Scientology Reaches Out To Troubled With Ad Campaign
- With the nation in shock after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, the Scientology Volunteer Ministers launch a program to help those in distress. [St. Petersburg Times]
- Scientology's Town
- Presents an overview of Scientology expansion in downtown Clearwater. [St. Petersburg Times]
- Ybor Adds Scientology To The Mix On Saturday
- Church of Scientology of Tampa extends its help to the community with a new Scientology Life Improvement Center in Ybor City, Florida. [St. Petersburg Times]
Human Rights Resources
Clearly it is not enough solely to place human rights protections within the frameworks of national and international law. While these are necessary steps, the nature and importance of human rights must be fully understood and applied by the people as well as by their governments.
- United for Human Rights Campaign
- Scientology Human Rights Activities
- Youth for Human Rights
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Human Rights: Teaching Tolerance and Peace
- Petition Targets Human Rights Education
- Citizens Commission for Human Rights
- Fight for Kids
- Church of Scientology International: Human Rights in France
- Church of Scientology International: Human Rights in Germany
- Los Angeles Human Rights Campaign
- Church of Scientology International - Human Rights News Forum